Lollipop Turkey Legs With Pitboss Grills
I have had fun making lollipop chicken drum legs and wanted to challenge myself with the mighty delicious turkey drum legs. The same methods applies here with cutting through the tendons and forming the drum leg as a lollipop. The tendons are thicker and tougher so it took some dedicated time and patience. If you have a friends giving coming up or are wanting to surprise your family with something different then this is the way to go! I went with Hickory Pellets from Pitboss and smoked these on my KC Combo pellet smoker from Pitboss Grills! As you can see it did a fantastic job, like always. Let's jump into the recipe.
- 3-5 turkey drum legs, thawed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
1) Prep your turkey drum legs by using a kitchen knife & kitchen sheers. With the knife cut around the bone as deep as you can about 3 inches below the knuckle. Remove as much of the skin and tendons as possible and then use the kitchen sheers to cut through the tendons. Work with these kitchen tools until you have bone fully exposed. Now push all the meat down to form a tight ball. Any extra tendons hanging out snip with the kitchen shears.
3) Cover the lollipops with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season to your preferrence.
4) Let the smoker get to temp and hold for 10 mins and load it up with the turkey lollipop drum legs. Make sure the fat side is closest to heart source.
5) Check after 20 mins and rotate.
6) Smoke and adjust lollipop drum legs for even temp and pull them at an internal temp of 165 degrees.
7) Plate and serve to family and friend's.