Bourbon Honey Glazed Leg of Ham
I know the holidays can be hectic and the recipe is always one of the most stressful decisions for any family. This is why I teamed up with Pitboss Grills to create this amazing Leg of Ham recipe on their Laredo Pellet Smoker. The recipe will take some time and dedication but all the ingredients, measurements, times and temperatures will be provided so you can schedule your cook as needed. This will not disappoint you and your whole family (or friends) will greatly appreciate the time you put into this delightful tasty holiday meal.
- One 20lb leg of ham
- 2-3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3-4 tablespoons Tennessee Apple Butter seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of favorite bbq seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
(BOURBON HONEY GLAZE)
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon Tennessee Apple Butter seasoning
NOTE: Make sure if ham is frozen that you place 3 days in the fridge followed by 18-24 hours at room temp for proper defrost.
1) Remove all the skin that's intact and fat. This includes silver skin, loose fat & and bulk thick fat sections. Once this is done (45 mins to 1 hour time consumed) you can pat dry with paper towels. Also, I put in some elbow grease with exposing the bone. This is not necessary, it is only for presentation.
2) Once the ham is prepped you want to apply kosher salt on the outside surface area of all of the ham. Place in the fridge on a rack for 12 hours minimum.
3) The next day remove the ham from the fridge for one hour in room temp conditions.
4) Factor in about 6 hours of smoking time. First make sure your hopper is filled with delicious pellets and then set your temp to 225.
5) At this time you will get your ham and begin your scoring process. This is where on the fat side up you will cut diamond shape grooves into the meat, little less than half an inch deep. You want to make a diamond shape pattern on this side about 1 1/2 spaces for your lines/diamonds.
6) Now you coat your ham on the backside with mustard (this is only a binder) and season generously with Tennessee Apple Butter seasoning followed with your favorite bbq seasoning. Flip over to your diamond scored side and repeat the same process.
7) Make sure your Laredo Pellet smoker is rolling consistently at 225 and place your ham in the center and let the fun begin.
8) After about two hours you will start to see a nice bark forming from the smoke and dry rub applied. At this point you want to make your bourbon honey glaze. Add all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 8-10 mins and pull. Let the sauce come to a rest and thicken. Now you want to start coating your ham every thirty mins with the glaze until it is finished at an internal temp of 145 degrees.
9) When your ham is at an internal temp of 145 degrees pull it and let it rest under a sheet of aluminum foil for 20-30 mins.
10) After resting, carve into your beautiful ham and serve.
11) Most importantly, enjoy your family and friends with this amazing recipe.